The port of Essaouira is a fishing port located 360 km southwest of Casablanca and 173 km northeast of Safi.
- ◊ Location : 9°47 W longitude, 31°30 N latitude;
- ◊ Function : Fishing;
- ◊ Road access :
- - National road 1 linking Casa - Essaouira - Agadir.
- ◊ Infrastructures :
- - Berthing docks : 385 LM (meters deep);
- - Draught : between 2 and 3 meters deep;
- - Platforms : 1 ha dedicated to fishing and an additional 0.8 ha at the shipyard.
Circa 1765, Sultan Sidi Med Ben Abdellah decided to build a shelter on the rocky outcrop of Cap Mogador as a naval base.
In 1915, it was decided to build a four-hectare port for barges, including one hectare of platforms; two piers were created: a 295 LM jetty in the western part of the port and a 285 LM long jetty. The various developments undertaken between 1924 and 1967 focused on deepening the port's channel, consolidating the docks and extending the main jetty to 373 LM.
Nowadays, Essaouira is essentially a fishing port.