The Kenitra/Mehdia complex is among the oldest ports in Morocco. The port of Kenitra is the only river port in Morocco and is a commercial port. The fishing port and the outer port of Mehdia are rooted in the bed of the Sebou River at its mouth and are dedicated to fishing.
The port complex of Kenitra is located 200 km south of Tangier and 160 km north of Casablanca. The ports of Mehdia and Kenitra are located respectively at the downstream of the Sebou River and 17 km from its mouth accessing the Atlantic Ocean.
The port of Kenitra is connected to the national highway and railway networks (including the high speed train project) and air transport (the Rabat airport is 25 km away).
- ◊ Location : 34°16’N-006°41’O;
- ◊ Function : Trade and fishing;
- ◊ Road access : The port of Kenitra is connected to the national highway and railway networks (including the high speed train project) and air transport (the Rabat airport is 25 km away);
- ◊ Infrastructures :
- - Berthing docks : 1006 LM;
- - Draught : -5.4 BCD;
- - Storage area : 5.5 22.7 ha.
The Port of Mehdia (Kenitra) has been used since Antiquity by the Phoenicians and seen great maritime activity in the 17th century when the city was under Spanish rule.
At the beginning of the last century (1911), the French military authorities chose Mehdia as a landing base for shipments to Fez.
In 1912, Kenitra was chosen as the landing place of supply because the river created a 1,200 m by 250 m wide basin with banks providing optimal conditions for the berthing of ships and thus it was decided to build a port there.
The port's geographical location enabled Kenitra to be a natural waterway for the luxurious plain of Gharb and its surrounding areas.
On November 14, 1912, the first ship (Fluor, a 1100-tonnes French cargo) passed the level of Sebou River and landed in Kenitra. This is how the port's commercial activity started.