The port of Safi is located on the Atlantic coast, 120 km from the port of Jorf Lasfar and 300 km from the port of Agadir.
It is located at the end of a bay overlooked by imposingly wide-open cliffs providing shelter for ships against winds and storms.
- ◊ Location : 32°18’N-9°15’O;
- ◊ Function : Trade and fishing;
- ◊ Road access :
- - National road #1 connecting the Casablanca-Agadir and the Marrakesh-Safi roads.
- ◊ Rail connection :
- - Safi-Benguerir Lasfar line.
- ◊ Infrastructures :
- - Berthing docks : 2280 LM( Linear Meter);
- - Draught : between 5 and 12 meters deep;
- - Platforms : 54 ha.
The port of Safi is probably the oldest port in Morocco. After a downturn, business was thriving in the 19th and 20th century.
In 1908, the port of Safi was rebuilt by the Portuguese and developed into its current location for barges. In 1916, it merely featured a basin of 4 hectares for barges.
Between 1923 and 1938, the discovery of phosphate deposits in Youssoufia enabled the construction of the current commercial port (basin II). In 1960, the development of phosphates traffic and the implementation of chemical plants in Safi led to extending the phosphates wharf.
The North Wharf was built in 1966 and the Shore wharf between 1976 and 1981.